Structured authoring doesn’t have to be the adversary of creative writing. Three case studies reveal how companies can balance standardization and creativity for optimal documentation.
It is a common stereotype that structured authoring is rigid, unbending, and free of creativity. In my experience, the opposite is true. Creativity is necessary to develop structured workflows, and – if developed with the specific requirements in mind – these workflows enable creative solutions. Business requirements often demand flexibility in how content is developed and distributed.
Three short case studies based on Scriptorium Publishing's collaborations with clients illustrate how companies can balance creativity and standardization. The case studies are:
- Designers communicating layout specifications to programmers for automated outputs
- Flexible layouts for well-designed print publications
- Evaluating efforts to customize procedures
Designers communicating layout specifications to programmers for automated outputs
Desktop publishing (DTP) software offers template designers a ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.