Headings inspire people to keep reading and provide orientation. If headings are thought through systematically and formulated accordingly, a helpful structure can be created.
Before we get started, let’s take a look at the summary of the functions of headings:
- Portioning: Headings divide the reading flow through pure typography. This makes it easier to find content.
- Summary: Headings can serve as a type of brief introduction for the reader and present the important information in the text in condensed form.
- Orientation: Along with summarizing the content, headings can provide a description of the type of information the reader can expect in the following sections.
- Motivation: Good headings draw the reader towards the text and encourage him to read further.
Style of headings
A core problem while formulating headings is that the described functions don’t mesh well with each other: Portioning, summarizing and orienting suggest clarity, brevity and tangibility. Motivation on the other hand arises from a more hands-on approach, the interactive or the ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.