Thirty years ago, the book The Nurnberg Funnel: Designing Minimalist Instruction for Practical Computer Skill introduced the concept of minimalism. To celebrate this anniversary, we take a look at the genesis, principles, and evolution of minimalism.
Image: © mikekiev/123rf.com
To really understand a movement – and its importance – it helps to look back at its origins. Thirty years ago, The Nurnberg Funnel: Designing Minimalist Instruction for Practical Computer Skill was published. It introduced the concept of minimalism and established the author, John Carroll, as “The Father of Minimalism.” For this anniversary, Dr. Carroll joined me for a session at the virtual tcworld conference in November 2020 to discuss the book, the origins of minimalism, and the state of minimalism today.
The Nurnberg Funnel facts on its 30th Anniversary:
- It was published in June 1990 by MIT Press
- At the time of its publication, John Carroll was the Manager of User Interface Theory and Design at IBM's Watson Research Center
- It has been cited 928 times in academic publications (source: ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.
Login tcworld.info login
With the user account of ˈmy tekomˈ or ˈmy Conference Toolˈ
You are a tekom member or have created a user account for 'my tekom' or 'my Conference Tool'.
With registration at tcworld.info
You are a magazine subscriber of ˈtcworld' or have registered at technischekommunikation.info.