In the last decade, chat has become the most popular platform for customer and technical support. Support is a huge cost for business. With the hype around Artificial Intelligence and deep learning, there’s a lot of excitement about the possibility of replacing live support with chatbots. But a deeper look shows the technology has a long way to go.
Technical communicators, especially those who work with structured content or other tools that support multi-channel publishing, can play a big role in providing high-quality content for chatbots to draw answers from. But before we jump headlong into the wonderful world of chatbots, it's important to take a step back. We need to understand two aspects of this technology in order to proceed successfully: Why people love live chat, and how chatbot support fits into their experience as a whole.
Live chat is well-loved
The following stats show clearly that live chat is growing in popularity and adoption:
- Chat adoption rates have risen from 38 percent in 2009 to 58 percent in 2014, which is a compound annual growth rate of 8.8 percent over that time. (Forrester)
- 53 percent of customers would prefer to use online chat before calling a company for support. (Harris Research)
- Chat has ...
Read more after login
tekom members can log in directly with their "My tekom" access data.
You are not yet a tekom member, but would like to read one or more articles in full? Then you have the opportunity to register on the internet portal of the technical journal 'tcworld' without obligation. Once you have registered, you can select any three specialist articles and view them in full for a period of two months. The selection will then be deleted and you can select three new articles for the next two months.
As a tekom member you benefit from the following advantages::
- Online access to all articles of the trade magazine 'tcworld magazine'
- Exclusive specialist articles from all areas of technical communication
- Regular new articles from over 300 authors
- The technical journal 'tcworld magazine' as a printed edition
- Reduced admission prices to tekom conferences
- Membership fees for tekom publications
- Access to 'my tekom', the web forum with job offers / job requests, appointments, expert advice, service provider file and much more
Promised: The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' is the best we have. And we don't make the choice easy for ourselves. Every month, the editorial staff of the technical journal 'tcworld magazine' publishes the latest articles by renowned authors. This demanding selection is available exclusively to members of tekom (as usual, including the printed edition).
The trade magazine 'tcworld magazine' stands for intelligently prepared specialist articles, texts written to the point, informative content, surprising insights, international perspectives and communicates technical communication in an understandable, fast, clear and uncomplicated way - exclusively for you.